The solution of introducing an instanceId configuration was chosen for the following reasons:
- It is a simple solution that allows to define an instance-id.
- It does not impact any existing Gerrit functionality, as the instance-id would be null by default.
- It also creates additional flexibility for multi-master use-cases to populate the instance-id as preferred.
- It does not impact 3rd party integrations (e.g. CI) because the instance-id won’t be present in the event if not defined.
- If instance-id is defined but not used by other 3rd party, it can be simply ignored.
- There might be better fitting alternatives that require much more engineering work in both design and implementation. However, the proposed solution is much simpler and solves a problem immediately (see complexity and impact).
- The solution was proposed and implementation guaranteed by a long-standing community member (GerritForge) who can be trusted with implementation and benefits from the solution (see community and commitment).
Fabio Ponciroli firstname.lastname@example.org is driving the implementation, and it will be ready for review in max 2 days. If the timelines of the review process would allow it, it could be included in Gerrit v3.2 or, worst case scenario, in v3.3.