The Gerrit roadmap is a best-effort collection of features/improvements that the ESC is aware of. The intention is to give the wider community - contributors as well as administrators and users - a sense of what they can expect to see in upcoming releases.
This is a living document, so things can change anytime. There is no ordering between features/improvements.
If you’re a contributor and you intend to work on something which is not mentioned here, please create a change and select the ESC members as reviewers. Don’t use this channel to submit ideas or wishes you want someone else of the community to work on!
If someone would like to be involved when a specific topic is tackled, please reach out to the ESC.
Target: Q4 2021
See Google 2021 Q3 OKRs.
- Composable SubmitRules
- Switch language level to Java 11
- Support for race-free zero-downtime pruning of git packed objects
Upcoming plugin improvements related to Gerrit 3.5
- New plugin: Allow group deletion
- Replication plugin
- Recover events on time basis instead of startup
- Do not push to the same destination from more than one primary at a time (URI locks)
- Shift the burden of firing pending events onto the specific replication threads for each event’s remote
- Support for external replication queue
- Message-broker based replication queue
- High-availability plugin
- Mention HA and setup for multiple primary hosts in Gerrit documentation
Upgrades from 2.7 to latest stable release
- Be able to upgrade a huge site (Qualcomm) from 2.7 to latest stable release
in less than 24 hours
- 2.16.x: Improve NoteDb offline migration speed (current timing is 24+ hours for Qualcomm)
- Improve upgrade speed for specifically slow schemas
- Role-based access control
- Evaluate other web frameworks as potential replacements for Polymer
- Rework event infrastructure
- Pushing of server events into the frontend
- Protobuf for REST API entities
- Pluggable authentication backend
- Quota plugin
- Simplify the plugin.